The purpose of this publication is to give an overview of the agriculture in 2009, as well as for some branches of national economy related to this sector.
The first chapter presents an analysis on agricultural production, economy and agriculture and environment in 2009.
Some of the most important findings for 2009, comparing with 2008, show:
In production terms
- Decrease of Winter cereals surface
- Production of pear reaches record
- Production of many intensive olive groves resulted in the biggest production of olive oil in recent decades
- Bovine meat: production falls 5%, reflecting less slaughtering of adult animals in 2009
- Pig meat: production decreases 2%
- Poultry meat: the poultry sector grows 3%, due to the increase of broiler production
- Cow’s milk production decreases
In economical terms
- Decrease in agricultural goods output price index (-6%)
- Decrease in goods and services currently consumed in agriculture price index (-2.7%)
- Slight increase in goods and services contributing to agricultural investment price index (+0.3%)
- Reduction of Gross Value Added at current prices on Agriculture (-1.2%)
- Decrease in Real Agricultural Income per worker (-3.8%).
[Available only in Portuguese language]