The purpose of this publication is to give an overview of the agriculture in 2008, as well as for some branches of
national economy related to this sector.
The first chapter gives a short description on agricultural production, economy and agriculture and environment in 2008. The structure of this publication enables an easier approach to statistical data, including a brief analysis of the results.
Some of the most important findings for 2008, comparing with 2007, show:
in production terms
- Winter cereals surface increases;
- production of pear reaches record;
- production of many intensive plantations of olive trees resulted in the biggest production of olive oil in recent decades;
- poultry meat: production in the poultry sector grows 3%;
- pig meat: Increase in production of 5%;
- bovine meat: rise in production of 18%, reflecting the recovery of the sector, after the poor results of 2007;
- cow’s milk production increases.
in economical terms
- increase in agricultural goods output price index (+ 2.8%);
- goods and services currently consumed in agriculture price index up by 10.4%;
- reduction of Gross Value Added at current prices on Agriculture (-11.5%);
- decrease in Agricultural Income (-5.0%).
[Available only in Portuguese language]