Delegation of Statistical Functions
The Portuguese Statistical Law no. 22/2008, (Official Journal no. 92 1st Series, of 13th May 2008), entrusts Statistics Portugal (SP) with the right to establish working arrangements with other entities for statistical purposes, identified as Other National Authorities (ONA).
These working arrangements are recognized as a lawful partnership through the signing of the Protocol of Delegation of Statistical Functions between SP and the partner entity.
For the purpose of producing official statistics, ONA are subject to the Portuguese Statistical Law and to the guidelines of European legislation. Consequently, ONA commit to implementing the European Statistics Code of Practice and SP’s regulations concerning Statistical Confidentiality, publicly formalized in the Confidentiality Charter.
Moreover, ONA’s statistical activity is guided by the unwavering principles of SP’s dissemination and revisions policies.
The range of official statistical activities of ONA’s responsibility is described yearly on SP’s Annual Work Programme and accounted for on the respective Annual Activities Report.
The list of current ONA for the production and dissemination of official statistics, as well as comprised activity areas, is as follows:
- [DGEG|MEc] - Directorate-General for Energy and Geology of the Ministry of Economy – Delegated statistical activity area: Energy and geological resources
- [DGEEC|MEd/MCTES] - Directorate-General of Education and Science Statistics of the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education – Delegated statistical activity areas: Education, training and learning, science and technology and information society
- [DGPJ|MJ] - Directorate-General for Justice Policy of the Ministry of Justice – Delegated statistical activity area: Justice
- [DGRM|MM] - Directorate-General of Natural Resources, Marine Resources and Safety Services of the Ministry of Sea – Delegated statistical activity areas: Fisheries and aquaculture statistics
- [GEP|MTSSS] - Department for Strategic Planning of the Ministry of Labour, Solidarity and Social Security – Delegated statistical activity areas: Labour market and vocational training.